Sinking the Empire: The Campaign to Destroy the Japanese Merchant Fleet During the Second World War

For CILO II I decided to double down on CLIO I’s project: “Unrestricted: The Campaign to Sink the Japanese Merchant Fleet During World War II”.

I took the original dataset and analyzed it using computational methods learned in the course. The paper is current hosted on this website and can be viewed here.

The project materials are available here and here.

New Content for “Unrestricted: The Campaign to Sink the Japanese Merchant Fleet During World War II”

As side project for this semester’s CILO II course I completed an interactive map exhibit for “Unrestricted: The Campaign to Sink the Japanese Merchant Fleet During World War II” The map is currently hosted on this site. View it here.

The map breaks the campaign up into ten distinct periods based upon major offensives and increases attrition rates suffered by the Japanese merchant fleet. It was built mostly from materials generated for the original project…and done so with newly acquired R coding skills.

I’m quickly becoming an accidental naval historian.

#learntocode